Concrete Industry Sustainable Construction Strategy
In 2008 the UK concrete industry agreed a Concrete Industry Sustainable Construction Strategy. The industry pledged to deliver a range of sustainability objectives, and this commitment was signed by trade associations and companies and included the commitment to publish an annual report on the sustainability performance of the industry. The individual sectors and companies had already established initiatives and reporting structures. The commitment to a comprehensive industry strategy and report has required coordination, and further development of sector and company processes.
Timeline of the strategy development
- In March 2009 the industry published its first Concrete Industry Sustainability Performance Report and marked the event with a launch to key stakeholders.
- In March 2010 the industry published its 2nd Report: 2008 performance data and release of 2012 performance targets.
- A third report, published in November 2010 shows progress towards the vision is being demonstrated by: Exceeding the government target on responsible sourcing; Exceeding UK average reduction of greenhouse gases; Exceeding energy performance targets; Stakeholder Engagement Survey launched.
- In October 2011, the fourth report was published and it presents the concrete industry's sustainability performance in 2010. The British Association of Reinforcement signed up to the strategy and this report includes performance data from this sector. We will continue to further develop and refine the reporting framework across our industry. We are also increasing the scope of the industry captured by the reporting.
- In November 2012, the fifth report was published. The data covers the manufacture of concrete and its constituent materials. The information is collected through survey responses from companies supplying an estimated 79% of concrete used in the UK.
- October 2013 saw the launch of the sixth report. This report includes data and results of targets set for 2012 as well as a look ahead with the publication of 2020 commitments and targets.
- The seventh report was published in December 2013 and launched at Ecobuild 2014. This report uses the 2013 data.
- The industry has now published it's 8th report. The latest report is available to download.
More information about the strategy is available from www.sustainableconcrete.org.uk
This publication assists engineers in understanding the common challenges of building tall.
An all-you-need-to-know guide on the specification of sustainable concrete.
Guidance on how concrete can be used to achieve credits under the latest version of BREEAM NC:2014.
This book summarises the reference material that will be used in the design of reinforced concrete buildings to Eurocode 2.
This document provides information on the material and resource efficiency of concrete and masonry.
This guide sets out how concrete's attributes can be used to minimise CO2 emissions.
This eighth annual report report presents the concrete industry’s sustainability performance in 2014.
This publication explores the key themes of whole-life, including future flexibility, resilience and ease of maintenance.
This guide focuses on the use of concrete at Coin Street Neighbourhood Centre and its part in creating a low energy building.
This publication summarises the material used in the design of reinforced and prestressed concrete bridges using Eurocode 2