Structural Concrete competition 2017
The aim of The Concrete Centre is to assist all those involved in design and construction to realise the full potential of concrete as an adaptable and sustainable construction material; partnering with Laing O’Rourke we provide a student competition for engineering students across the UK.
The competition offers a stimulating challenge and supports the curriculum of civil and structural engineering departments of UK universities. The competition operates on two levels. Submissions are first judged at each university by the academic tutor(s) and the winning submission is then entered for the national level of the competition by the tutor. Only one entry from each university can go forward for final judging at a national level.
The competition requires students to submit:
- A conceptual design report.
- Design calculations for the selected scheme superstructure.
- Drawings of the selected scheme superstructure.
- A sustainability appraisal.
This provides an opportunity to prepare elements of interest to prospective employers, some of whom are involved in setting and judging the competition.
The 2017 project requires students to design a theatre-in-the-round set on the banks of a major tidal river in the south east of England.
Download the competition brief.
How to enter
Structural Concrete 2017 is open only to students studying for a degree at a UK university. Entries can be single, joint, or from teams of up to four students. The competition brief can easily be incorporated into existing university curricula and taught over the first, second or both terms. Further details are included in the competition brief.
- Register interest: University academic tutor(s) should register the university’s intention to participate by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download an entry form: An entry form is included in the competition brief or the entry form can be downloaded separately.
- Submit entry form: The details of the local winner and the completed entry form for the national competition must reach The Concrete Centre by Friday 9 June 2017.
- Submit competition entry: The physical submission must reach The Concrete Centre by Friday 7 July 2017.
If you have any queries related to the entry process please email email@example.com